Saturday, October 25, 2008

As promised: motherhood / supermom / kryptonite / clothes

Okay, I alluded to the "SuperMom" thing in my earlier post, but it's something that nibbles at me. I think trying to do it all is it's own kryptonite -- it's like the snake that eats it's own tail, you cannot do it all, and the harder you try, the harder you fail.

-----------------------------

Now on clothes. I've been watching a lot of makeover-type reality TV -- which means those shows where they redo you life, your image, and give you mad amounts of new clothing (WNTW, How to Look Good Naked, Tim Gunn's Guide to Style, Real Simple TV, et al). Yes I'm a player hater becuase I want that opportunity but don't feel I qualify (have you seen some of the people when they walk in?). I think I have a lot of tshirts and jeans, but I don't think that the bulk of my wardrobe warrants a trip to the trash bin. Now, I am not exactly happy with my image, clothes, but mostly I just want the free stuff, the shopping experience, the individual attention, the shoes, the clothes ... it's kind of an "Oprah's Favorite Things" moment, I had to stop watching it when I started with the "why can't I get some free shit!?" self-talk. But I'm hooked, and I'm learning lessons from these shows (in the interest of full disclosure -- the Carson Kressly show kind of grates my nerves, so I did stop watching after 2 or 3 episodes). I've learned to shop and look for clothes that flatter my shape, I've learned that if it doesn't fit, then it's not my fault, and I've learned that it's more important that something "goes" than if something "matches."

I also have had this ongoing thought about age. In my parent's day, I don't think they every wondered when they were going to feel like a grown up. Looking back at the pictures from when my parents or grandparents were my age -- they were grown ups. They read the paper, they had cocktails after work, they looked the part and played the part.

I hear more and more people in my peer group saying they don't feel like grown ups. We all feel like a bunch of adolescents still, like we can't quite find the keys to the castle but we have figured out a way to jimmy the lock and we're here anyway. What's so different?

We are uber-casual (bonus points for second usage of "uber" in one day). We wear t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers. But in the days of yore, adults dressed the part. Men wore suits and hats. Ladies wore dresses and gloves. Can you picture June Cleaver doing dishes in pants that say "Juicy" across the ass? No, not a pretty picture -- and it's not a pretty picture on us either.

So, that's my point. Maybe we don't feel like grown ups because we don't look or dress like grown ups. Wearing sloppy clothes gives us license to be sloppy. Putting together outfits and dressing like a grown up effects a difference in how we carry ourselves. It is just clothing, but it does have a profound effect.

I think Stacy & Clinton would be so proud! :)

2 comments:

  1. I so agree! I mean, have you ever seen what Perry Mason is wearing when he answers the phone in the middle of the night?? The middle of the night, for Pete's sake!

    Oh yeah--I'm totally, totally guilty, but I agree. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. for the record, let it be noted that I was in fact wearing a tshirt and sweatpants when this entry was submitted!! :)

    ReplyDelete