Thursday, October 09, 2008

The torture (t)rack

My weekly goal was to run 3x, 2 miles per stretch. No, not a lofty goal, but a goal still. Today I did not want to run. The thought of the treadmill made me queasy. I referenced my mental rolodex to find an excuse not to go. All the while, I still prepared myself for the trip to the Y. I tried to conjure up illnesses but at last I couldn't put it off any more; I had my gym clothes on. I had a charged MP3 player and water bottle. So I made a deal with myself to run 1.5 miles on the track instead.

My goal is to run a 5k in the spring (a 10k if I can manage it). I've learned that running on the treadmill is deceptively easy compared to running outside. I did it last week and made it just short of the 1.5 mile distance. Today I ran the 1.5, and I didn't have to stop. Yes, perhaps I'm more of a jogger than a runner but I did it.

I'm not a slow-and-easy wins the day kind of girl; I prefer the all-or-nothing approach. But I'm trying on this new approach for this goal, and I'm learning from it. I am seeing that my stride is lengthening, on a cardiovascular level, I can see improvements. That's what will keep me going.

And as I was on the track, the playlist fairies did me a proper. On my random playlist today:
Word Up - Cameo
Dancing With Myself - Billy Idol
I'm Going On - Gnarls Barkley
Baby Got Back - Sir Mixx A Lot


Tomorrow? Tae Bo at home (we'll see). Saturday, day off. Sunday, running and weights. And the training continues...

1 comment:

  1. You go girl....and you keep going!

    ReplyDelete