Wednesday, October 21, 2009

10-21 a day for books

I'm just not feeling very specific today, can't pick out a CD to jam to. Family is coming to visit tomorow so in between working and cleaning I've been baking. And reading.

Found a new (to me) book when I took the kids to the library last night, Made from Scratch by Jenna Woginrich. It's all about how a 9-5 city girl got back in touch with the land. Sounds precious, but it's so much more. I tore through half of it, told my friend Ronda about it and plan to buy some chickens when we move to a bigger house -- definitely plant a garden next year. It's a nice reminder. And kind of ironic, since as it's fall, my thoughts turn to Walden. As in the book Walden by Henry David Thoreau. I love this book. I've read it a few times, try to re-read it as often as I can (which never turns out to be as frequently as I want to). Even with the knowledge that Thoreau did not spend all of his time alone - and in fact, I've heard he frequently visited his sister around dinner time (what a coincidence!). And speaking of Thoreau, I also picked up The Thoreau You Don't Know when I was at the library, and I'll give that a read when I'm done with the other two.

I've been on a book bender recently ... I read through the True Blood series and fell in love with the "supes" and the town on Bon Temps. I find myself rooting for Eric, the thousand-year old (give or take a decade) Viking vampire who is smitten with the heroine.

I read titles recommended by my book club -- Jennifer Johnson is Sick of Being Single (wow, I hated how the protagonist made choices but I so totally identified with her), Burn (about a lottery winner and the apres-winning life she leads, complete with hunky I love him/I hate him/I love him leading man), Real Life & Liars (a complicated sort of family love story/coming of age at every age tale).

I've read other books that I can't remember anymore. I so hate when that happens. But I love finding a great book to read!

1 comment:

  1. Wait a minute, we are Goodreads friends! Are you posting these? Those sound good, and I am always looking for good fiction! ;) Thanks Mari!

    ReplyDelete