Saturday, October 10, 2009

Rocktober the tenth (and eleventh)

Ten songs plus one bonus track. And if I can ever figure it out, there will be playlist embedded as well.

1. Ball & Chain – Social Distortion
Jingle-jangly perfect punk. I first heard this song when it was covered by the Mojo Sex Junkies at the Laughing Lizard Lounge in Old Town Alexandria. They were an awesome band, a group of us went to their shows for quite a while and I think they thought we were a big group of weirdoes (which is ironic in that they are the ones called the Mojo Sex Junkies).

2. Hump De Hump – RHCP
This song always – always – puts me in a great mood. I don’t know what they are singing about, I don’t know what they are singing about I just love the … hump de hump, do ba-da, hump de hump ... my happy day song.

3. Portland Oregon – Loretta Lynn
Every woman in music owes a debt to Loretta Lynn. She is freaking awesome. Trailblazer, songwriter, lady who knows how to get it done while wearing a lacy, sparkly ball gown. Plus Jack White? When you get past the creepy factor of the duet, it’s an awesome song from an awesome album that was all but ignored by radio. Damn shame.

4. Here & Now – Letters to Cleo

I worked hard to figure out the line from this song, you remember the one … the-comfort-of-the-knowledge-of-a-rise-above-the-sky-above-will-never-parallel-the-challenge-of-an-acquisition-in-the … Regardless of the fact that it was used on one of those 90s shows (90210? Melrose?), it still rocks.

5. Der Kommisar – After the Fire
Okay, this is seriously one of my most-very-favorite 80s songs (along with the next one on this list). It stands the test of time, and when the acoustic guitar breaks out about ¾ of the way through, it’s like a fist unfurling and I *love* that!

6. Electric Avenue – Eddie Grant
This was the first song I really remember hearing on the radio and getting blown away by it. I would sit with my transistor radio and my great big cassette recorder (you know, the rectangular one with the slide-out handle?) And I would tape this song any time I heard it on the radio. So that meant I had a “mix tape” made from radio songs that featured various parts of this song about ten times. An awesome song that makes a statement that is still relevant and fresh. Word.

7. Luckenbach, Texas – Waylon Jennings
I love Waylon Jennings. Swoon. He’s hardcore rebel cowboy. I remember this song from when I was a kid and my parents were hardcore country. It’s just an awesome, simple short song.

8. Pancho & Lefty – Willie Nelson
First, I love a story song. Second, the line … all the federales say they would have had him anyway. They just let him slip away. Out of kindness, I suppose … makes me laugh. I’ve never been a huge Willie Nelson fan (I prefer Waylon or Merle), but I’ve learned to appreciate him more the older I get.

9. Gimme Some Water – Eddie Money
Rock & roll story song! How many songs do you know have the line “Oh jeez!” which in itself is almost enough to make this one of the most awesome songs ever. Reminds me of a bonfire after the Newburg Picnic in the late 1980s – but that’s a whole ‘nother story!

10. Children of the Sun – Billy Thorpe
This song is so over the top, it’s great. I think it shows how keyboards and computers can be put to good use in a rock song. Turned up very loud, it’s very cool.

11. BONUS TRACK: Shooting Star – Bad Co
This song has so many things going for it, as far as I’m concerned. First, Paul Rodgers has the best voice in rock music (there, I said it). I’ve heard him live and he’s ah-mazing. His voice is like leather – smooth, supple, edgy and a little dangerous. Plus, hello? Story song. I wrote a paper about this song in my high school creative writing class.

No comments:

Post a Comment