Sunday, November 01, 2009

Queen of Wishful Thinking? Or just lazy? Or too busy?

Definitely too full of questions for a Sunday that started way too early in the morning (thanks, DST. Fall behind indeed).

Fist things first - Happy November! October (Rocktober?) is over. What did you learn? I learned that 31 days in a row is a few too many days in a row for me to blog. I tried - I truly did. But I committed to writing daily and picking a new CD daily, and I'm just not that girl. Some days I want to listen to Pandora.com. Some days I want to listen to the radio. Some (most) days I just want to listen to Rancid over & over again. And that's okay too.

So what do I do for November? I join NANOWRIMO! That's NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth for the uninitiated. The goal is to write a novel in 1 month (and not even a 31-day month, a short 30-day month!). I figured that I had this one sewn up - no sweat! So I went and bought the companion book (I do love to accessorize), No Plot? No Problem! and began to read it last week. I was doing fine until I got to page 28, which contains a sidebar entitled: "WHY BRINGING A PARTIALLY COMPLETED BOOK INTO THIS IS NOT SUCH A GOOD IDEA." Bastards. They saw me coming.

First of all, I have a 5,000+ word start on a novel that I'm pretty fond of. I had really hoped that this would be the impetus that would push me to bring this into fruition ... but I am a girl who follows the rules (much to my chagrin). So I started a new novel this morning, starting from zero (word count and ideas) and trying to do something completely different from Novel #1 that I'm working on. And in the interest of full disclosure, Novel #1 is actually novel #5 or so of the many that I've tried to start and failed to progress on through the years.

So here we go. I'll try to add this writing assignment of 1,667 words per day to my already overfilling plate. It seems daunting but I think it will be liberating ... I can be selfish and write as poorly as I can! I can break rules! I can swear with abandon! For a girl who hews to the rules this is like a mini vacation. I write and edit all day every day for a living. This is going to be fun (for a few days, I think).

And this is what I want, what I've been working toward my whole adult life.

I was talking to a friend recently and mentioned that someone intimidated me as she was a published writer. I want to be a published writer. She told me -- "the only difference between you and her is that she has more time to do it." Or she makes more time to do it. Either way, it gets done. And that's what I'm here to do.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! I look forward to reading the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHUT UP! I just joined this morning!!! Please tell me I'm not nuts - or, not any more nuts than I already thought I was - for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last quote is very fitting Mari! Make the time!!

    ReplyDelete