Thursday, December 31, 2009

1999 ... err ... 2009

So it's New Year's Eve, 2009. The older I get, the more I consider this to be amateur night - I don't feel compelled to go out and party my behind off. 1999 was another story, however - though that night I wasn't out on the town either.

We spent New Year's Even 1999 in Germany, where my husband, along with most other military members we knew, was on standby in case of Y2K (remember that?) problems. Problems that never happened, but still. So we spent the day close to home (this being the time before everyone had their own cell phone) in case he was called in.

But it was a really great New Year.

Sky News, out of England, showed all of the Y2K celebrations from across the world -- from Australia and New Zealand, across Asia and into Europe. It was pretty amazing to see those hourly celebrations and it proved to be a most memorable year.

Of course, the next year, I went back to my crazy ways and painted the town red, but that's a tale for another year.

More to come ...

No comments:

Post a Comment