Thursday, December 10, 2009

Musical ramblings

So we're watching a countdown show on VH1 last night - and let me tell you, as someone who grew up with a transister radio blaring Casey Kasem's Top 40 every weekend, I do love me a countdown show - and it was the top songs of the 90s. The #1 song (spoiler alert!) Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Well, I mean of course it was. It was a song that took everything cliche about the 80s, balled it up and wiped it's butt with it. Anyway, all this talk about the greatest songs of the 90s got me thinking about what could be the worst song of the 90s. I struggle with naming it, as even when I really detest something I can usually find a redeeming quality. The early part of the 90s I was happily immersed in rock and grunge; the latter half of the 90s I spent in Europe, where David Hasselhof was musically relevant, so I read my Entertainment Weeklys to keep up with what was new (this was before the Internet ruled my world), and I spent my time digging into Metallica, Luscious Jackson, Creed, Merle Haggard, Reel Big Fish, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

The countdown also got me thinking about how my adoration for punk and rockabilly, and I really don't think they're that far apart. Case in point - went with good friends to see the awesome band Two Tons of Steel at a local club here. They are a upright-bass having rockabilly band out of San Antonio who also happen to be two tons of fun. Anyway, they do the standard covers of country and bluegrassy rockabilly songs, their own original songs and this song:



I was already falling for them (did I mention that they are easy on the eyes? And the bass? Love me an upright bass.), but this song pushed me over the edge. I was completely enamored when they ended their set with this Buddy Holly song (one of my all-time faves):



and the first time I went to see them play last June, they mixed in a little bit of Led Zeppelin 'Dazed & Confused' for good measure. Yeah. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Jay got the most awesomest Buddy Holly set EVER for Christmas. I will have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love music. I am a professional writer.Dissertation and essay writing like writing tasks are more difficult to student for completing. But it is an easy work. Students get many services in online. But it is necessary to select perfect one. Like phd proposal writing service.

    ReplyDelete