Monday, June 14, 2010

Hard to Get

Yes, I know; not everyone "gets" me. But really, I'm not playing hard to get.
I'm fairly optimistic and I think in pop culture snippets. Did you ever see the show "Dream On" that ran on HBO in the 90s? Yeah, that guy is me. Everything you say or I do reminds me of something.
I read something the other day that said that we can't really imagine anymore because everything we have seen has been manufactured -- it's all been done before, on TV or a big screen. As an example, he said to imagine a Wagon Train in the old west ... and that most everyone would have a similar idea becuase we've all seen it before, on TV or a movie, and that's what our memory takes us to. Our brains no longer remember that we didn't experience it, we saw it on TV. So chew on that.

But my indirect point, is, that due to the rain today, I spent time in my attic crawl space, looking for leaks. Yeah, pause to process your jealousy. And as I'm contorting myself around the heating ductwork with my uber-flashlight and bucket o'sodden insulation, I went through many moments in my head. I was Catherine Zeta Jones in that movie where she's all slithery in the laserbeams. I'm Judd Nelson crawling through ductwork in Breakfast Club. I'm Chevy Chase having a moment with the old movies in Christmas Vacation.

Because while I was up there? I found my stash of albums. Record albums. Vinyl. A slim collection, most of which was courtesy of the Columbia House Records & Tapes club (Yup, they have a wiki for those of you too young to remember) and they included such gems as The Outfield ... Ratt ... The Call ... several Rick Springfield. And oh yeah, Dokken (don't be knockin' Dokken, LOL). So I had a moment.

Now, I'm sitting on the couch with a heating pad as I'm no Catherine Zeta Jones. My Monday sucked, not to put too fine a point on it, and I'm looking forward to a Tuesday sans rain so the roofers can roof the roof before the roof caves in. When I have crazy days, I sing that "Psycho" song, explaining it's presence on this here list.

And I know that this day would have been waaay better had I listened to some Rancid, so here are some tasty nuggets. Hope you like it.

Now leave me a damn comment as I'm a whore for the feedback.



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Thank you for posting more frequently now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer Dennis-Smith7:50 AM

    Great post!

    Sorry you had to spend the day in the crawl space, but at least you had reading material. Honestly, your album collection sounds like mine, which I think is the sign of a great mind.

    Hope you get the roof fixed today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the "CZJ" reference that you felt while visiting the 2nd floor of your home. Dirty jobs came to my mind, as well as Dirty Deeds by AC/DC. Not sure if this is any consolation or not, but couldn't you just picture me hanging on the first rung of the ladder saying "didja find anything yet"? I sure do hate to hear you are alone during these trying times, but just remember one thing - you're not alone. We are all there with you through your words, through your stories, and through your highs/lows. I love you and wish I could will these times away, but what doesn't kill us, yadda yadda yadda. Love, Juli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me about 14 and 15.. perfect..

    ReplyDelete