Tuesday, June 08, 2010

#^&*@#!&>?!!! (the one with all the swear words)

How do you survive the car with your kids? Music-wise, I mean.

I'm not a "Kidz-Bop" kind of mom; I prefer to let my kids listen to MY music rather than listening to theirs.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to develop their own tastes, but I think they need to understand the deep catalog that they have to choose from so they don't feel they have to settle for whatever the local "hot hits" radio station is playing.

My problem? Much of my music is laden with inappropriate language or swear words. Now, most times my kids don't notice the words, but lately, they are starting to sing along. My daughter's regular call from the back seat is now "turn it up mommy so I can sing!" And there are plenty of songs that they love to sing along to. From 70s jams like "Kung Fu Fighting" to punk anthems like "Timebomb" and country songs like "Wide Open Spaces," there are plenty of appropriate songs in there for them to listen to, but those inappropriate songs are there, hiding on various mix CDs and in the dark corners of my iPod.

I remember one day, my son was singing along to a little George Clinton "We Want the Funk" and he nearly cried when he said "mommy! That's a bad word!!" I explained to him that funk is a good thing.

At any rate, here are a few of the jams that have had to be edited from my car-friendly music. But know for sure that when you see me cruising down the road on my own, these are the songs that will be bumping my base.

Warning: enter at your own sonic risk.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

2 comments:

  1. HA! I love it! And coincidentally, I was just blaring Clutch at ear splitting decibels whilst returning from Pre-School drop off. Sometimes, you just have to listen to "Non-Mom Music". I feel you, sistah! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It grabs a multiple of looking to explore the usessay online essay writer. This has grow easier for me ended your blog so I obtain to view the qualities to expression for in the utility furthermore the appropriate composer. Acknowledge you.

    ReplyDelete