Thursday, September 30, 2010

There's a sign on the wall. And by wall, I mean fridge.

I thought it would be fitting for the last entry in the "random quote month" to be a roundup of the quotes that you may find posted on my fridge. The idea goes back to high school ... Amy are you listening to me? We had to share lockers and we could decorate inside the doors, and let me tell you that Amy & I had the best and most awesome locker, filled with funny and meaningful quotes, pictures of hair bands and hot guys, and whatever else we found to be too cool to pass up.

This tradition has morphed into my 12x12 patch of quotes I keep on my fridge (I'm clearly not one of those who prefers a clean, uncluttered aesthetic).
The quotes I keep:
  • One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virgina Woolf
  • Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time. - fortune cookie (I love fortune cookies and I'm sure I nullify the fortunes by grabbing a handful every time I'm around them!)
  • Life is short, but childhood is shorter. Feed it well. - not sure
  • The past can hurt ... you can either run from it or learn from it - Rafiki in The Lion King
  • If you judge people, you have no time to love them. - Mother Theresa
  • Someone thinks you are wonderfully mysterious. - fortune cookie
  • Don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh. - Maya Angelou
  • Don't pursue happiness -- create it. - fortune cookie
  • Jumping for joy is good exercise - anonymous (This reminds me of an episode of My Name Is Earl where Catalina says "I will not jump for Joy" & that always cracks me up)
  • Patience is one of the hardest virtues to master. - fortune cookie (So damn true!)
  • Look it's simple math ... you run, you burn 500 calories, you eat a slice of pizza, you're f---ed. - Jillian Michaels
  • Nothing great has been & nothing great can be accomplished without passion. - G. W. F. Hegel
  • Work smarter, not harder.
  • They cannot take away our self-respect if we do not give it to them. - fortune cookie
  • You grow up the day you have your first real laugh at yourself. - Ethel Barrymore
  • For a good cause, wrongdoing may be virtuous. - fortune cookie
  • Wealth consists not in having great possessions but in having few wants. - Esther De Waal
  • As to conforming outwardly and living your own life inwardly, I do not think much of that. - Henry David Thoreau
  • There are some things you learn best in calm, and some in storm. - Willa Cather
  • Hold on to each other above everything else. - from the Lifehouse song "Whatever it Takes" (I am unfamiliar with the song but found the quote in a magazine)
  • After all, it's not rocket surgery. - from a Choc Beer box (this is one of my personal faves, up there with brain science)
  • There is a gigantic difference between earning a great deal of money and being rich. - Marlene Dietrich (I like quotes that remind us that there is more to life than money and material goods; it might sound cheesy but I've taught my kids that it's important to be "rich in love")
  • In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on. - Robert Frost
  • I know for sure that all experiences contribute to who we're meant to be. - Oprah
So where do we go from here?
Well, brace yourselves because RAWKtober begins tomorrow. ;)

3 comments:

  1. I love quotes. You have brought us some doozies this month! Grazie, bella! (And now you've got me thinking up a new post theme...hmmmm...) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! One of my faves (and I have *no* idea who said it):

    "That's the key to having it all; stop expecting it to look like what you thought it was going to look like."

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ri, it's all connected, isn't it? One post leads to another and now I'm singing the Fixx. Sigh.

    Love that one Colleen, and ain't that the damn truth??

    ReplyDelete