Wednesday, November 02, 2011

On work and pork rinds

Here is what I learned yesterday:
  1. Turtles like pork rinds.
  2. Maybe you shouldn't do what you love for your job.
Which one do you think is driving this post?


I met a former football player who said how he can't remember how long it's been since he watched a football game. Since he was in the NFL and played quarterback this came as a surprise to me; but he said that when he watches a game, he watches the key players and gets back into the mindframe of a quarterback and can't enjoy the game. He said that the NFL killed that little boy in him, the one who dreamed of being a pro football player.

Then I saw a TV show, where a woman was a chef. And she hated to cook at home, because she cooks at work. She's tired of it. This is a woman who became a chef because of her absolute love of food and cooking; she wanted to do something she loved all day, every day.

And there are more stories.

The woman who worked retail and can't enter a store without a mental checklist on the layout of the store, the attitudes of the workers.

The music critic who can't just listen to music for pure pleasure anymore because they are always listening with a critical ear for that point that will make or break the music for them.

But we've all been told that we should do something we love for work and we'll be fulfilled.
I disagree.

But I'm searching for the answer! I want to know how to take something that I love to do and turn that into my business. I love my job now; I'm an editor and a writer and it's really right up my alley, but it's also difficult and when I don't love it? I hate it. Because, let's face it! It's work. And that's why it's called work.

So where do you weigh in on the do what you love argument?

No comments:

Post a Comment