Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Singing songs you don't know

Driving last night, listening to the radio. The song ended and something else came on. The melody was vaguely familiar, but the musical intro was too long, and I started to look for my iPod to plug in and get some music that I like.

But then the lyrics started. And I started to sing along:
When the lights go down in the California town, people are in for the evening / I get in my guitar and throw in my guitar, my heart beatin' time with my breathin'
WTF? How do I know this song?

Stevie Nicks is singing backup. I had to find the song. So I came home, Googled it and came up with "Gold" by John Stewart:




I still don't know how I know this song. Must have been popular with my older sisters in the late 70s, their music was very influential to me.

Reminded me of another song that I used to know, this one was one of my brother's favorites in the early 80s. I spent a little bit of time searching, and thankfully for the internet, I was able to find the song here, "Livin' on the Edge" by Jim Capaldi:



PS, for anyone keeping track, I'm behind on the NABLOPOMO writing prompts; I'll address those later.

No comments:

Post a Comment