Sunday, January 08, 2012

Only the good music


So a few things have conspired today to get me to upload music to my son's Kindle Fire.
  1. This week, he purchased Maroon 5's Moves Like Jagger for his music collection. This is the first musical purchase made under his own steam and it means more to me than his first word or the rest of the crap entries in his baby book.
  2. He then asked me if he could buy a song that I already owned. Which I balk at. I don't like paying for things twice.
  3. I read a lot of music-related tweets.
So I used my powers of the Interwebz & decoded the magic of the cloud drive. (more after the jump)

And here is what my son now has in his musical arsenal:
  • Ain't No Sunshine by the Reverend Al Green
  • Antmusic by Adam Ant
  • Big Me by the Foo Fighters
  • Blitzkrieg Bop by the Ramones
  • Crank That by Soulja Boy
  • Dyer Maker by Led Zeppelin
  • Everyone's In Love With You by Steve Earle
  • Fall Back Down by Rancid
  • Friday I'm in Love by the Cure
  • Get Rhythm by Johnny Cash
  • I am Superman by REM
  • Limelight by Rush
  • Monkey Wrench by the Foo Fighters
  • No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn by the Beastie Boys
  • Santa Monica by Everclear
  • Should I Stay or Should I Go by the Clash
  • Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
  • That's Not My Name by the Ting Tings
  • The Galway Girl by Steve Earle
  • The Spirit of Radio by Rush
  • Time Bomb by Rancid
  • Time by Pink Floyd
  • To Have and To Have Not by Lars Fredericksen and the Bastards
  • Tom Sawyer by Rush
  • Turn Up the Radio by Autograph
  • You're Unbelievable by EMF
This is just a start, based on the songs that get played a lot around here & the songs that he's responded to.  There are tons more that still need to be added, including some country (Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Big & Rich), some more punk and rock (like carefully-screened Metallica, Sex Pistols and the like) and some jams (... I wanna rock right now! I'm Rob Base and I came to get down. I'm not internationally-known, but I'm known to rock a microphone. Cuz I get stupid, I mean outrageous! Stay away from me if you're contagious ...) plus some kid-friendly dance songs that are on a CD made for him for his birthday last year.

Because music matters. It's important for kids to have access to a wide range of music just like they should have access to a wide range of foods or books. It's my job to seed the field; he can decide what he wants to harvest. But you bet your ass I'm going to plant the best seeds I can find.