Thursday, March 08, 2012

Life Lessons from an Oompa-Loompa

Well, maybe not from an Oompa-Loompa exactly. More like a life lesson from Charlie Bucket. Brought to me by an awesome Oompa-Loompa.
That's my Oompa-Loompa right there.
You want to know my deep, dark secret? I don't do well with change. And I can't stand it when I know something is hanging over my head and I just have to keep calm & carry on and wait for the other damn shoe to drop.

You see, 2011 was my year of uncertainty. It was the year when things unraveled and changed and eventually calmed down and I could just... exhale... and get on with it all.

2012 was to be my year. The year when things would go forward in a great direction, when this uncertainty would be but a distant memory! And it was. Well, until it wasn't.

So I'm feeling overwhelmed. Can't focus, which is a bad thing, because I work in the world of details. I'm an editor and a writer and I need to have a firm grip on the words and the finer points and the details. Then you bring in all the normal everyday drama of a family and other details of life that must be managed and it's a mess. Which turns me into a grumpy mess.

Today I had to take my daughter to perform in the High School production of Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, for which she's been practicing for a week. We've logged a lot of hours hanging out at the High School, during her rehearsals, time that to my grumpy self felt like lost time as I waited and waited and waited for her practices to be over and we could get out of there.

So I'm watching this story of Charlie Bucket, the story I know well; cheering on my little Oompa-Loompa as she pops up on stage at her appointed time and doesn't freak out too much about falling into the orchestra pit (but she does freak out an appropriate amount).

Charlie Bucket is worried that he won't find that golden ticket that means so much to him and his grandfather reminds him, that their family stays positive. And when Charlie's dad loses his job (which is a big fear for us), Charlie reminds him that they stay positive; that everything is going to be okay. Charlie convinces his dad of this, and he convinces me in the process.

Because there is no use worrying about it; it's either going to work out or it's not. It either means there's going to be a big change or there isn't. But right now, there's really nothing I can do about it. And worrying is not going to solve anything. So I'll try harder not to.

2 comments:

  1. My dear 10 year old daughter has battled this SO much, and I say to her that exact statement: It's either going to work out or it's not.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I am such a worrier! I should know better at my age (which is approximately 4x older than your daughter!) but old habits die hard.
    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete