Sunday, October 14, 2012

14: Sunday's random draw

Happy Sunday! It's a lovely morning. I've got coffee. The house is quiet. Here's a random music post of 5 songs for today:

1. I'll Wait - Van Halen
Oh, I could have been singing this song to David Lee Roth back in the early '80s. He was my teenage dream. I felt like he ripped these words right from my soul. Oh, there's just nothing like teenage hyperbole! Well, I guess nothing except a Van Halen song.



2. Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
Wow. I miss her. Love how she took those old-school girl-group styles and turned them on their ear into something fresh and new. I wish she would have been longer for this earth. ... we only said goodby with words, I died a hundred times. You go on back to her and I go back to black ...



3. The Happiest Days of Our Lives - Pink Floyd
This is a short song, one of those interlude type moments from The Wall, the album that ruled my world from about 1987-1989. It's that prelude to Another Brick in the Wall, the ones that the good radio stations would play before they played that song. Makes me miss album rock.



4. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
I'm not much of an Elton John fan, but I love this song. I don't know if it's the Wizard of Oz reference and my long-standing love for that movie, or exactly what it is. It might have something to do with this appearance on The Muppet Show. I just know that I like it.



5. Heaven - Los Lonely Boys
This is just a happy song. Who doesn't love a happy song? But aside from that happy melody, it's a deep song about living through hard times and hoping for a better outcome. It's a prayer; a joyful noise.



6. Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
Yes, this was going to be a list of 5. But when Neil Diamond pops up in your shuffle? You respect.


2 comments:

  1. And here I thought I was the only one with Sweet Caroline? Do you also have Forever in Blue Jeans? Just me? Well, then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone. We own the 2-disc super greatest hits collection and while I don't have all the songs in my iTunes, those 2 are. Along with Cracklin' Rosie ... Song Sung Blue ... Cherry Cherry ... Solitary Man ...

    Dammit! Now I need to go watch "Saving Silverman"!!!

    ReplyDelete