Thursday, October 25, 2012

25: What's Up?

4 Non Blondes.

Saw them in concert when they opened for Aerosmith a way long time ago.
Tickets were $5 in a skybox at the Cap Center in DC. Cheap tickets because the air force owned the box, sold tickets at very low cost. We would get 5 people to get in line ridiculously early in the morning so we could score all 10 tickets and fill the box with our friends. The benefits of the box were that you could bring in your own food and drink (beer), and not pay the arena upcharge. Plus you had private seats. Bonus. We may or may not have been a group of drunk air force enlisted folks yelling "four blind nuns!" when the band took the stage. There was only one song that I remember, the one that I knew before we went to the show, but I remember that they sounded pretty good overall.

A few years later, I heard the song and really listened. I just happened to be 25. Going through a big transition in life, as always seems to happen (seriously, is there ever a time in life when we aren't going through some sort of transition?). The lyrics hit home.

25 years of my life and still
I'm trying to get up that great big hill of hope
for a destination
I realized quickly when I knew I should
that the world was made up of this brotherhood of man
for whatever that means

and so I cry sometimes when I'm lying in bed
just to get it all out what's in my head
and I, I'm feeling a little peculiar
so I wake in the morning and I step outside
and I take a deep breath
and I get real high
and I scream from the top of my lungs
what's goin' on
Seriously. Love that song. Spoke to me. Speaks to me still. This one is on my karaoke list, even though I'm far from 25.


And now politics. You can stop reading now if you don't want to go to there.

There are so many ads (but thankfully as I do not live in a battleground state, I'm not assaulted by them as some others are), and I'm hearing mixed messages. The same people who are saying that there is too much regulation in government are saying that we should regulate a woman's right to choose. I wrote about there here, earlier this year. How can this continue to be a point of debate in this day and age? Nobody on this earth makes decisions about my uterus--NOBODY--except for me. And this absurd discussion in the media lately regarding rape, "legitimate" and otherwise is just beyond absurd. I don't want my daughter to have to suffer under these same archaic arguments.

So vexing.

No comments:

Post a Comment