Saturday, October 27, 2012

27: nobody reads posts on Saturdays

I'm still going to write, though.

Because I saw a story on TV earlier this week or late last week, and the gist of it was that people who are popular in high school turn out to be more successful as adults.

Really?
There goes all my theories.

The gist of this story is that people who learn how to work the system, who learn how to get along, learn how to find the jobs to make more money and be more successful.

So, basically, those years in high school when I went along instead of going my own way, when I went fit in instead of tried to stand out, when I denied those things that made me an individual instead of embracing them? I should keep doing that.

And to that, I say a hearty and heartfelt (wait for it): BULL. SHIT.

High school is all about trying to figure out how to fit in. When I left high school? I stopped trying. I shed that uncomfortable skin and was just ... me. And wow, I was so much happier.

Would I make more money if I pretended to be someone I'm not? I don't know about all that. Because what I do know is that the more I embrace myself, my quirks and my individuality, the more authentic relationships I create, the more I bring amazing people into my life and the happier I become.

And that? Money just can't buy.

It reminds me of a book I read a while back, about a woman who moved across the country with her boyfriend and was trying to make new friends as an adult. It's not easy to do. But she challenged herself to try lots of different ways to do it, and she successfully met some other awesome ladies with an opening in their dance cards, and she's made some great relationships. The rules changed as she got older, but that desire to belong (that one we felt in high school that may have led us to hide our lights under a bushel but hopefully as an adult it's the one that makes us stand tall and proud and unique) still exists.

I've thought about that a lot. Because I don't know a lot of people who like all the same things that I do (do any of us?). But if I were to write a personal ad, it might go something like this:
Forty-something, happily-married mother of 2 seeks friend to share in fun adventures and intellectual conversation. Open-mindedness a must. Interests in cooking, pop culture (especially music), reading, writing and occasional exercise a plus. Must not be easily offended by swearing, sarcasm or beer.
Since it's still the month of music, it's time to pick today's song.

And today, it's P!nk, M!ssundaztood (and yes, it took all I had to type that in accurately according t the artist and not properly). I can't find the video for it, so you'll just have to pretend.



1 comment:

  1. Popular kids in high school more successful? For realz? I agree with your bull shit sentiment.

    ReplyDelete