Friday, October 05, 2012

Day 5: Strange things happen

You know when there's a song that you've heard, like a million times, so many times that it just becomes part of your fiber? Where you recognize it in 2 notes, or one short lyric phrase? When it just becomes trite and played out? And really, you weren't that big of a fan of it in the first place, but it was just that popular.

But then, years (like 15) go by, and you suddenly, unexpectedly hear that song.

And, huh. It's kind of good.

That's what happened to me last night, I was shuffling through music (and there are unplumbed depths, or shallows as the case may be, on my iPod), and came upon this song:

Papa Don't Preach by Madonna.



I nearly fast-forwarded it, but something about those symphonic strings and simple guitar, a little synth for good measure, that kept my attention. And then she starts singing. And she's in perfect voice. A little throaty and full, a little scratchier than the average Madonna pop song. The lyrics are somewhat trite, but seriously, the imagery (largely in part to the video that was in heavy rotation) that the song invokes. I just told someone last week that if I walk up stairs wearing ballet flats? I start singing this song to myself. And those narrative interludes of Madonna dancing and singing, hair bleached and curled to perfection, all dressed up in the little black bustier/capri number? Rawr. She's a hottie. I'm secure enough in my sexuality to admit that.

My disclaimer: I've not ever been a big Madonna fan. Yeah, okay some of the songs were good but I've always skewed more heavy than pop, and Madonna was tolerated. Tunes good for dancing.

Give this song an unprejudiced listen and appreciate it for all that it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment