Monday, November 05, 2012

NABLOPOMO: Election thoughts

What are your thoughts about tomorrow's election in the United States?

My thoughts about the election are simple; enough with the polarization. The time for partisanship is over; the time to join together, work toward a common goal and STOP ALREADY with finger pointing.

Nobody elects officials for the purpose of sending them to Washington to prevent progress from being made, do they? I can’t imagine either party would be okay with this. I don’t allow this kind of behavior from my kids—I don’t want it in my public servants, either. And that's what elected officials are--public servants. They serve the people. Us. And they are responsible for the success (or failure) of our country.

I see a big failure of this current administration; plainly stating their objectives before they took office allowed the powers not in favor of them to focus forces and push harder against them. It broke my heart to hear elected officials and lawmakers state that they would fight against whatever their "opposition" was fighting for.

Washington needs to learn to work together. Or else we will surely fall apart.

And if the current President's policies aren't effective (regardless of who that President is or his (or her) political affiliation)? We have a democracy, not a dictatorship. And all of the President's cabinet, the House and the Senate hold a responsibility for that failure or success.

Last week, my son told me that they did a mock election at school, and he voted for the candidate that he knows his father and I support. He told me that they also voted for a state senator, and he voted along party lines because he didn't know who either of the candidates were. Yikes! I let him know that this was not a good idea, either. I mean, you can't vote for someone if you have no idea what that person stands for. What if he wanted 7-days-a-week school? Or a mandatory ban on mustard? Two silly things, yes; but two things that mean something to my son. And he got it.

My 76-year-old mother told me that she believes that there should be a maximum age for voting, that at a certain point, people shouldn't vote because the policies that they're voting for or against are not really affecting them. Interesting. Not sure that it's an idea that would fly, or that even should be considered, but it's something to ponder.

Regardless of any of these statements, the one major thought I have about this election? I'm thankful for it. I'm thankful to live in a country where I can freely state my thoughts, where I have the right to vote for the candidate of my choice, where I have a voice in my future. Viva la democracy!

No comments:

Post a Comment