Thursday, November 08, 2012

What are you going to do with your life?

If you're like me, you read that and there's only one reply:
I wanna rock!
Because you see Niedermayer saying that to the kid posing as Dee Snyder in the Twisted Sister video. But, I digress.

I love how life always will provide you with a positive to balance our a negative situation... or, you know, the negative to balance your positive.



This past weekend, I had one of those moments where I was so verklempt at the thought of my kids growing up. They're never going to be little again! And I don't want new babies, just to be clear; I want to experience my kids as babies again. because you can't enjoy it while you're enduring it.

Proof of this: a blog post by a mom, overwhelmed by the life-sucking boredom she was experiencing by being a stay at home mom. She thought she could just give up everything that made her feel happy and full and get the same benefit from being a mom. But being a mom to a toddler can be soul-crushing if you're not also sticking your fingers in something that gives you joy.

And before you get your knickers in a twist, I'm not dissing motherhood; I'm just saying that you can't look to motherhood for your joy. You can't expect it to fulfill you completely. Unless it does, and in that case? Great! But that's not everyone. And that must be respected.

I got pregnant and fully intended to stay home with my kids. Which lasted for like 6 months. I found an opportunity for a job and I ended up running with it and pretty soon I'm working full time, I've got 2 kids, and they're almost out of grade school and into puberty. When the hell did that happen?

And then, they were fighting and did something so ridiculous to piss each other off and pretty soon they're just yelling and screaming and I'm just trying to use the bathroom in peace and I'm wondering how I'm going to survive them when they do actually go through puberty and whose damn idea was it to have kids, anyway??

And then we talk about it. And we regroup. And they give me hope. Yeah, I know. That'll bite me in the ass one of these days. I can wait.


Today's NaBloPoMo question: If you could have any job (and instantly have the training and qualifications to do it), which job would you want? 

Is "kept" a job? Because right about now, that's what I want to be.
Honestly, I like what I do. I write, I edit. I plan and schedule things. I'd like to spend more time gardening, have like a little urban farm out in the back yard. That would be awesome.

I think if I could do anything, I'd want to be a motivational speaker. I used to want to be a psychologist when I was a kid, but at this point in my life, I have enough of my own problems; I don't want to take on anyone else's. But I could totally rock the motivational speaking.

Oh, or a Stevie Ray Vaughn type blues guitarist. That guitar totally undoes my knots.

1 comment: