Monday, January 07, 2013

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

I did not want to go to the gym. I did not want to run today.
  1. I was sick yesterday, which threw me off my schedule.
  2. I had a million zillion things to do today because see previous entry.
  3. I figured that once I got going it was better than not going.
  4. I ran 4 miles.
Yay! So why, with the negative self talk and the not wanting to go and the grumpiness and the whining did I manage to pull out a longer run than I even thought possible.

It's all about the music.

I'd made a new playlist a few months ago, pulling some deep cuts out to prepare a new roster of BPM-appropriate music to keep me moving on my workout challenge of alternating running with other cardio equipment. Because sometimes a girl (or an old lady; whatever) needs all the motivation she can get.

So today when I got on the treadmill, I went to set up my running app before I picked music (which I never do; it's tricky!) and ended up just grabbing an old playlist of music.

Sigh. Fine.

Figures.

This run was going to suck.

Or was it? No, it wasn't.

Because after I walked my initial quarter mile and got to running, I set a goal of a half mile because see previous words in this post--I so did not want to be on this machine!!

But then came Metallica ("Am I Evil?" Yes, treadmill; you are)

And the Sex Pistols ("Anarchy in the UK") 

And Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards ("Army of Zombies" ... that's my jam, yo!)

So I'll stop when that song is over. But then came

... Linkin Park ("Bleed it Out," my so-called power song)

And Rancid! ("Bloodclot" ... pick it back up and start it all over again!)

Harvey Danger ("Flag Pole Sitta?" I dare you to stop)

And Social D ("Gimme the Sweet & Lowdown")

And before I knew it, I was past my goal by an extra mile and made a new goal for 4.

That playlist is my not-so-secret weapon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment