Sunday, March 24, 2013

Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear

I love when I get the right words when I need to hear them.
You know, like when the student is ready the teacher arrives?
So, today I got my teacher, a little unexpectedly.

I like to think that the old iPod that can't hold a charge to go for a run, but can stay plugged into the car to play music, knows what I need when I need it. That some days, when I'm in that particular frame of mind and need a certain song with a certain message, the gods will deliver. And I've seen it happen. Or should I say heard it happen?

I need to burn some angsty energy? Boom: I get Rage Against the Machine. I need a little jump in my giddy up? I get some old school jams. Soul soothing? Merle.

You get the picture.

So today, I needed something to give me a sign. Let me know that I was doing the right thing. Is this where I should be going? Is this what I should be doing? How would I know for sure.

And then I got my answer ... I almost fast-forwarded past it, but stopped myself. Listened to the lyrics. And Karen Carpenter told me all that I needed to know.


Today, Karen Carpenter was my sensei, and I, her grasshopper. I sang. I let my freak flag fly.
And we'll see how it all turns out.

4 comments:

  1. Karen was good people. LOVE this... LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. Anytime I experience self-doubt? I start singing. la-la-la-la-la and so on. I know, doesn't have the same effect when you read it vs. hear it but you get the picture, yes?

      Delete
  2. I totally thought this post was going to be about self doubt before the Oklahoma City Auditions! Congratulations! Thanks for the music flash back, a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in a roundabout way it really was ... but I would much rather talk about that a-ha moment that surprised me and gave me inspiration, I guess. But I was shaking like a leaf! So nervous. So unsure. But there you go! You never know how these things will turn out until you try, right? :)

      Delete