Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Listen To Your Mother

So, I made the cast of Listen to Your Mother. This is what I was freaking out about. This is what Karen Carpenter encouraged me about.

So what does that mean?
Listen To Your Mother is a live speaking event where the speakers (often, moms, usually writers) speak about mom-related topics, sharing personal stories about their own experiences.

Every person on earth could be a speaker; all you need is a story. And we all have a story. We've all either had, or not had or been or not been or experienced a good or a bad mother. And there you go. That's the requirement.

I shared my story, and the audition was the easy part. The writing it was the easy part; it was cathartic and it was necessary and the story I'm sharing came out of me as though it demanded a room of its own. It was one of those moments.

But, since that audition on Sunday, I've not slept. I'm in a virtual panic. Tossing and turning and worrying. Because now it's real. And then, this morning, I woke up to a video on the LTYM home page, where founder Ann Imig speaks about what it means to be a part of this. And it feels like a big deal.




I'm not a "live in the moment" sort of person. I'm a planner and I tend to live about 5 steps ahead of where I am at any given time. I don't like dealing with last-minute. I don't like living in the present, especially if the present isn't where I want to be, presently. This has been the case in many parts of life, whether it be when I was working in a soul-sucking job that I hated and I counted down the moments until I could quit or when we lived somewhere I didn't want to live and I just focused on the next move or when my husband was deployed and I focused on when he would come home. Head down, move forward, get through it.

Then one day I saw a quote in an ad. I don't remember what the ad was for, but I remember the quote.
This is YOU. This is NOW.
I don't know if the emphasis was there on the YOU & the NOW, but I added the emphasis when I printed it on a label maker & stuck it on my computer screen to serve as a reminder to me. And right now, having just watched that video from Ann Imig, this is me, crying in front of my computer, humbled and grateful and shocked and amazed and so damn thankful for being a part of this. I am blessed. Blessed by pain and sorrow and happiness and joy and everything that makes life what it is and has brought me to where I am. And thank you for being a part of this. Thank you for being a part of my life, of this chapter of my story, and hopefully of many others as well.

I can't wait to see you in the audience in May.

Listen to Your Mother OKC will be held at the Will Rogers Theatre on Sunday, May 5. Tickets are cheap, general admission and proceeds benefit Infant Crisis Services. Doors open at 1:30, show starts at 2pm and though the show is all ages, topics might be more appropriate for a PG-13 audience. Use your judgement. Get your tickets here. No, seriously, go now--they're gonna go fast.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you Mari. I hope to be able to attend - so if you see my smiling face in the audience, it will be there to support you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome. I have never heard of this ! Very cool !

    ReplyDelete