Thursday, April 18, 2013

Holla!

It's day 4 of the OKWB Blogger challenge, the one where we're tasked to call out someone awesome in our life, recognize the wind beneath our wings and say, in this space: "did you ever know that you're my hero?"

At least, that's how I read it.

So, a little back story; I was talking to my kids about grades this week. Both of them are pulling in straight As. This is the result of a lot of hard work on the part of all the members of this household, both kids and parents. When I was their age? I was a straight-C student. I didn't have someone pushing me to do the best I could do.

As I got older, instead of knowing better, I became swept up into the idea that it was cool to be not so smart. So I continued to let my grades slip. There were no teachers to step in and recognize the untapped potential, to save me from myself. My life was no John Hughes movie, even if it was the 80s. There were a few well-intentioned adults that would pop in, but it was just a little too little, too late. I had solidified my place as mediocre.

Then, eventually, I went to college and I cared more. I pushed myself (and I had an awesome husband who believed in me--and still believes in me today) and I got straight As. It was the motivation, the belief that I could do it and the understanding that if I got a bad grade it would cost me money. I met a few teachers over the years in college that were amazing and supportive and incredible; I will remember them always.

Before moving to Oklahoma in 2001, I quit my job. I could have transferred to the branch of the company here, but I decided to quit ... to become a writer. That didn't exactly happen. But, eventually, I did meet my mentor, Denise, the person directly responsible for my writing and editing life.

She believed in me when I needed someone to believe in me. Challenged me when I didn't want to be challenged but really needed to be and saw that this was possible. I am eternally grateful to her.

I can only hope that I've been as supportive to her as she's been to me. So, thank you Denise, for believing and motivating. Thank you, Tony, for loving and always, always being there. Thank you kids for being so damn amazing.

Thank you, every person who reads these words. 

Thank you to the people who have called me out on my bullshit. Thank you to the people who have told me to shut up or to keep talking. Thank you, every person I've ever crossed paths with, thank you for sharing wisdom with me and for allowing me to share with you as well. I hope we are both better for it.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm glad Denise was there for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell her that often. She reinforced the belief that when the student is ready, the teacher arrives!

      Delete