Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Trust: updated


Everyone has a place at the table.

So, yesterday I waxed poetic blathered about a lack of trust in myself, in my abilities to connect and to share my story after spending an afternoon with a roomful of some of the most amazing people I've had the pleasure of sharing air with. And then I was given a link to the photos that were taken during the course of this day, and I was reminded … dude, I've got this.

Because we've all got one another.

And I have the pictures that show that I did it. I read my story out loud in front of people and didn't dissolve or disappear or fall apart or burst into flames. The pictures showed a roundtable (well, it was more of a square configuration of conference tables, but roundtable has such a nicer ring to it) of people, each willing to share a truth that comes from vulnerability. And for each person's reading, these pictures show people to their left and right, across the table and all around the room, supporting them. Laughing. Crying. Loving.





These are the people with the stories and the love.

I so needed this proof. I needed to see that I was there, a part of this group. not an interloper; not an unwelcome guest, but a welcome participant with a place of my own at the table. In the past few years, I've lost a big part of my sense of self. Through these pictures, this process, I've been able to recapture it. I see myself offering support through my own tears, laughter and love. There were pictures of me reading, making other people laugh and cry (at the appropriate moments, even).

But mostly, there was love. Support. Understanding. Among a group of 16 people who were virtually strangers a few short months ago.

Amazing.

If you have a Listen to Your Mother show near you, get there. If you can't get there, watch a video of past shows on the website archive and then later this year when the 2013 show videos are posted, watch them again. If you're in Oklahoma City, come to our show on Sunday May 5.

Learn from all who participate in this powerful program. Share your truth. It's an amazing thing.

11 comments:

  1. love love love. love. more love. I am SO happy you are a part of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BEYOND thrilled to be a part of it. Seriously I feel like I was called to do this.

      Delete
  2. "Roundtable" is the perfect word. Like Camelot, LTYM is an idealistic undertaking, but as Mama Princess Knights of the Round Table of LTYM, it works beautifully.

    Yeah, dude. You've got this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "as" should have been "with." :)

      Delete
    2. Who needs the "YaYa Sisterhood" when you've got the Mama Princess Knights!? :) So happy to be at the table with you, my friend.

      Delete
  3. I love, love, love this!!!!! Beautifully written just like your LTYM piece. I remember your hug well that you gave me on Sunday and you sharing about loosing your father. It meant SO much to me especially in light of today. Blessing sweet new friend. :) I agree with Brandi..."You've got this!" and we are all behind you backing you up.

    Lisa Raley
    (aka Small Glimpses)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an unapologetic, enthusiastic hugger, so there's more where that came from. Love your story and sharing this with you!

      Delete
  4. How can it be that I have fallen in love with so many so quickly? Love you.

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's weird, but I think weird is awesome! XO

      Delete
  5. HEy now your a rock star getcher game on GO PLAY! You do got this, Im right just in case you need to make a trust fall I gotcher back sis your UH MA ZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rock stars need to stick together! It's our way, right sister? :)

      Delete