Thursday, April 04, 2013

Women's Problems: Six Months Later

This is my confessional.

So, about 6 months ago (roughly), I talked about health problems here.
How have things changed?
I'm down 45lbs from where I started.
Lost 7 inches on my waist, 7.5 inches on my hips and roughly 5 clothing sizes.
What does that mean, exactly? Here, allow me to provide you a visual:


The picture on the left is from our trip to Vegas in early August 2012. The one on the right is from our date night at the end of March 2013. I'll admit that I was not in a great mood, it was a zillion degrees and I was a little dehydrated in that picture on the left ... but all that combined won't make one look fat; it just makes one look grumpy. I loved that outfit, though.

Which reminds me, I'm currently interviewing for sponsors for a new wardrobe if anyone is looking for a questionable charitable cause.

I've come to terms with this new version of me, but it's been a bit of a struggle. And that is weird. It shouldn't be hard to be okay with losing weight, should it? I mean, it's a good thing. But it took me by surprise. I didn't intend to completely change so many things about myself in the past 6 months; it was kind of thrust on me and I was forced to take it on. Maybe that's the part that I've been trying to deal with.

I'm able to keep my sense of humor about it. I've been heard to say the fun stops when you have to buy a smaller bra because, let's face it--it kind of does. Moment of silence for our lost friends, yo.

Sigh.

But seriously. It's been difficult. And as much as it's been hard work and determination, it's also been medication. Because no matter how much hard work and determination I would have applied in the past, I would not have gotten these results. So, you know, "thanks" modern medicine.

Aside from the physical, what's changed? Well, my tolerance for bullshit is decreased. I do not suffer fools gladly. Again, the medication is a large part of that.

Food.

I changed the way I eat. I didn't go on a diet. I changed things. I cut out refined sugar and grains completely--COMPLETELY--for the first month or so. Then I added them back in a bit. Yes, I've had some chips and cookies and french fries here and there. A soda once. But for the most part, once I cut out this refined food, I realized that I don't want it. My body rejects it. I eat it and feel icky. It has the opposite effect of what food--fuel--should have. And I realize I just don't want it anymore, not so much. Yes, there are times when I just want to hit Krispy Kreme and get a box of "Hot Now!" donuts, but when I really think about how I know it'll make me feel? No. But I wish I would have eaten one last Big Mac, that is a guilty pleasure that I truly miss.

So, instead I make sure that I balance protein and carbs and fiber. If I eat something I probably shouldn't because it's too carb-heavy, I'll exercise to burn that blood glucose. It helps. I try to eat more lean protein and vegetables, fewer grains and pay attention to portion sizes. I've found carb-protected pasta and tortillas and I love them. And at the same time, I try to teach my kids what it means to change the way I eat without demonizing any type of food. They've learned a lot about food and nutrients and reading labels in the meantime. And they still enjoy the crap that kids should enjoy, like juice and soda and candy and chips ... but they understand the concept of moderation, which was never something that I got.

Exercise.

I'm doing it. I'm improving at it. I'm going farther and faster than I could before. I don't know why. I struggled with the medication side-effects (increased heart rate, reduced ability to sweat & regulate body temp) and have adapted and improved. I've noticed muscles where they didn't exist. I do a lot of cardio. I need to do more weights. I know this. I've always known this. I'll make time for it. Promise.

The Future.

I have less than 6 weeks to go on these meds, less than 6 weeks to go before I see the doctor again, less than 6 weeks to go before I finish this cycle in my life.

I'm hoping to be off the meds soon.

I'm terrified to go off the meds.

I don't know if I can maintain this on my own. And that's pretty scary.

But I'll try.

7 comments:

  1. Good for you! And I know you can do it, even without the meds. You've gone too far to turn back now. You've relearned how to eat and that is the hardest task (I know, because I still haven't done it). Thanks for sharing your journey with us, you are def. not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is practice for brutal honesty. It's a scary thing, but it's happening. And I can talk about healthy food/eating for days, so you are warned for the next time I see you! lol :)

      Delete
  2. You look beautiful, and your progress is inspiring, whether you intended to travel this road or not. Perhaps it's time to write your story? Keep up the brilliant work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You are amazing!You can totally do this without the meds! I'm going through a similar journey as well. Hang in there...and keep your journal handy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look awesome. I'll join you in that moment of silence. I blame my children for my "lost friends".

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only time I've had breasts was while pregnant and breastfeeding. I found them really overrated. Except men waited on me a lot faster in stores. Yeah, there is that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl !!!

    ReplyDelete