Monday, June 24, 2013

Music Morning

Yesterday started out as an average Sunday. Awake. Coffee. Cooked pork products.
And since now I remember that there is leftover breakfast sausage alone and unguarded in my fridge, we shall pause whilst I engage in an epic battle of wills over whether or not I should eat that sausage. Spoiler alert: I do.
And music.

It starts with Merle Haggard. Then on to Stevie Ray Vaughn. Then Bob Seger, which I could really take or leave and I'm so not over hating "Old Time Rock and Roll" that it's kind of making my skin crawl in that Steely Dan sort of way.

And then "All Right Now" starts up and everything is right with the world. I cringe a little, waiting for "Feel Like Making Love" to come on, but then it's "More than a Feeling" and I remember while it's Paul Rogers singing, the band is Free, not Bad Company. Side note: FWIW, Paul Rogers gets my vote for best male vocalist. He's the bomb. And then it's "Long Train Running" ... and "Ramblin' Man" (Allman Bros version, not Bob Seger, though I can tolerate the Seger version.)

"What CD is this!?" Asks my husband. The CDs in the changer are left over from when we had our last party. Before Christmas. When we don't have a house full of people, we listen to music on our devices, as our tastes can be somewhat divergent; but on classic rock, we mostly agree (except where Steely Dan and Bob Seger are concerned). Naturally, it was the Pure 70s CD that had us all dancing and singing through our day.

First of all, just take a second to bask in the awesome that is the cover of this CD. I mean, really; it's the closest thing you can find in modern times to one of those old K-Tel compilations that would be teased to us through TV commercials containing all the hits of the day.

The awesome thing about this compilation is the breadth of the artists represented: from Skynyrd to Blue Swede (the "Oohga-Chaka" version of "Hooked on a Feeling" is just beyond the most awesome thing ever.) with a little 10cc & Thin Lizzy thrown in for good measure.

This takes me back to my childhood on the south side streets of Milwaukee, to the old house with the unfinished basement. For a time, there was a section in that basement that was my radio station. I had a pile of records, cast-offs from my older sister's boyfriend, the one who owned the bar with the DJ booth who would get new records on a regular basis and send the old ones my way. I had a pile of super-singles, dance mixes and 45s. A gold mine that I didn't recognize at the time.
Pause here as I shed a tear for not having that treasure trove any longer. Sad! What I wouldn't give to get my hands on that vinyl today.
What I did know is that I had that Blue Swede song. I had Sweet's "Ballroom Blitz" ... and I would either be an awesome DJ or an awesome lip-syncher which I firmly believed was an underrated art form.

But I digress; the variety of this CD also brings me to the inspired 70s mix that I made a few years ago. Perfect for summer nights and summer days. Enjoy.

1. Amie – Pure Prairie League
2. Love Rollercoaster – Ohio Players
3. Spirit in the Sky – Norman Greenbaum
4. We Want the Funk – George Clinton
5. Dancin’ in the Moonlight – King Harvest
6. Hot Rod Lincoln – Commander Cody & his Lost Planet Airmen
7. Brandy – Looking Glass
8. Black Betty – Ram Jam
9. Werewolves of London – Warren Zevon
10. Brick House – Commodores
11. Do You Know What I Mean – Lee Michaels
12. Keep On Dancin - Marvin Gaye
13. I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
14. Don’t Pull Your Love Out – Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds
15. I’ll Take You There – Staples Singers
16. Stuck in the Middle With You – Stealers Wheel
17. Jungle Boogie – Kool & the Gang
18. Kung Fu Fighting – Carl Douglas
19. Can’t You See – Marshall Tucker Band
20. Oh What a Night – Frankie Valli
21. Let’s Stay Together – Reverand Al Green
22. Seasons in the Sun – Terry Jacks

3 comments:

  1. Dang if I don't love your mix. 70s make me think of summer nights as well, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have danced to this mix around many a bonfire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you hear me singing? The only one that stumped me was "Keep on dancing." by Marvin Gaye, just can't locate it in my brain. Great mix, you are a woman of many talents Mari!

    ReplyDelete