Monday, July 08, 2013

the Prodigal Blogger

Where the hell have you been?
And of course by you I mean me.
Where the hell have I been?

You know, I quit my day job recently. No more magazine editing for this gal here, which means that I should have no excuse for not having regular posts, like, really well-written posts that are all regularly posted and what not.

But that's not so much my style. I've always had a bit of an existential crisis when it comes to blogging. Who am I? What am I trying to say? I'm not a mom blogger. Or a food blogger. Though I do occasionally talk about being a mom and, you know, making and consuming food. I'm not a book reviewer but I do that, too.

I don't know what the purpose of this blog is. It's where I park the random crap that is stored in my head. It's where I work out the issues that keep bugging me like Stewie on Family Guy (" ... mom ... mommy ... mom ... Lois ... mom ... mama ... " Oh for heaven's sake, you get the picture already, right?). And then when I think of Stewie and his little football shaped head I have to think of Free to Be You and Me because of the segments on that with the football head babies, and we watched that movie in school every year in the mid-70s (remember filmstrips? mimeographs? good times) which makes me think of Henry W. Longfellow Elementary on the south side of Milwaukee where I grew up, which I'm also reminded of when I watch Shameless, which I recently became hooked on, because the south side of Chicago portrayed on that show is so like the neighborhoods I grew up in, but with fewer felonies and exploding meth labs in the basement (read: none of those things) and more corner taverns, less Old Style and more PBR, which makes me think of hipsters and those horn rim glasses like Fred Armisen wears on SNL, which makes me think of when it was Kristen Wiig's last episode and they sang that Stones song, "She's a Rainbow," which I love because I'm more of a Stones girl than a Beatles girl even if the modern wisdom behind that says that girls who prefer the Rolling Stones are easy, which makes me think of Dr. Hook because I heard that song "On the Cover of the Rolling Stone" in the car the other day which also kind of makes me chuckle because when I loaded up my CD player? I included the Beatles but not the Stones. Ironic.

That.

The quitting of the job should have made the extracting of the information easier. But it seems to have caused it to stop flowing. Maybe I need a sabbatical? I mean, I've clearly taken a sabbatical, but perhaps I need to officially take a break, and like tell my brain "you are now on sabbatical and shall not be writing anything. I mean it. Stop it." and perhaps that would kick my brain's ass into gear? Well, it would be worth a shot.

So. I quit my job. Turned another year older. Had a barbecue and when the sausages company did not overnight me sausages as promised (long story; moral of the story? Bad customer service is the devil), so I had to settle for sub-par sausages (which was actually good and only sub-par when compared to the sausages of my dreams which were not delivered as promised. Get your head out of the gutter) and I made a mix CD to make myself feel better. The playlist:
  1. Last One to Die (Rancid)
  2. A Girl Like You (Smithereens)
  3. Yeah Yeah (Willie Moon)
  4. Everybody Talks (Neon Trees)
  5. Ain't No Rest for the Wicked (Cage the Elephant)
  6. New Wave (Against Me!)
  7. I Wanna Be Sedated (The Ramones)
  8. Pressure Drop (The Clash)
  9. The New York Groove (Ace Frehley)
  10. I Won't Run No More (Social Distortion)
  11. It's So Easy (The Crickets)
  12. You Never Even Called Me By My Name (David Allen Coe)
  13. Fox on the Run (Sweet)
  14. Ruby Soho (Rancid)
  15. Hot Child in the City (Nick Gilder)
  16. No Time (The Heavy)
Tossed this in the changer with another mix CD (Pure 70s), the Beatles, Stevie Ray Vaughn & He's My Brother She's My Sister. I know it made my ears happy for hours on end.

And maybe that right there is the meaning? I blog because it makes me happy.
So there.

4 comments:

  1. Hot Child In The CIty gets in my ears every single time. I'll probably be singing it for a whole 'nother week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was totally model-stomping through the YMCA today, singing along to "Fox on the Run"! :)

      Delete
  2. If bet you made your boyfriends the best mixed tapes. LOVE! Have fun with your adjustment. You'll get in your new groove soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I make tapes for me!
      I've only ever made a mix tape for 1 boy. It was so powerful, he married me 5 months later. :)

      Delete