Monday, September 02, 2013

It's September!

Well, it would seem that I missed the 1st. Bummer. But hey, it's still September, right?

I had grand plans for the month! The past few years September kicked off a barrage--a barrage, I tell you!--of blogging that would lead into daily ROCKtober posts (yes, I said it. Deal. It's still album rock and mullets and beer cans with pull tabs and combs with the handles sticking out of the back pocket of your way tight jeans [flight pants optional], Triumph wailing from the thumping speakers of your boom box in the dark, strobe-lit corners of my world.) which would usher in NANOWRIMO for which I would be primed and ready to release the kraken (i.e., reach my daily word counts)!! And then I would not.

But already I've bucked the trend by skipping the first of the month (see what I did there!?), and I was thinking that it might be kind of cool to do questions or challenges every day. So I might start there.

Why not? So, I scanned the interwebs and found lots of random questions memes (who doesn't love a meme!?) and I'll do that. Questions and such. Maybe every day... maybe not so much. I'm a bit noncommittal on September thus far, but I will be planning my ROCKtober, so fear not, dear ones.

Today's post is a (shuffle, shuffle ... its like I'm dipping into the ball pit on TV's infamous Scrabble game show hosted by the one one and only Chuck Woolery) ...

Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 18, and find the 4th sentence.
"I felt ashamed for having been jealous of his life, considering the price he'd paid for it, and I tried to feel lucky for the safe and unextraordinary one that I had done nothing to deserve."
I'm choosing the 4th full sentence on the page, skipping the fragmented bit that begins the page (and reads, "secretly he was relieved."). I haven't actually started reading this book yet, but this sentence is certainly intriguing me to finish my work reading so I can get on with my books that I'll read someday pile. 

I'm possibly OCD enough to use this as a test by which I'll judge all the books I select for possible reading, and woe is me should I find any books that have a page left intentionally blank or a full-page illustration on page 18. Or a perversely long introduction using Roman numerals (should I use page XVIII?). Okay, I'm going to try not to do that.

This quote is from the book immediately to my right, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs, which I have not yet started reading but have been intrigued by since I first saw it. Also in the pile of books to my immediate right are Be Good: How to Navigate the Ethics of Everything by Randy Cohen, purchased after I checked it out from the library and fell in love with it and The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty, which I won in a Twitter contest and was sent to me in a kick-ass Tupperware box.

So, welcome to September! Let the blogging barrage begin.

4 comments:

  1. I feel energized just reading your post. Bring it, girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandi! I'm trying to keep on keeping on. You know how this writing life goes :)

      Delete
  2. "Through conscious effort, we can calm our racing minds and soften our tense bodies." from Healing Mind, Healthy Woman by Alice Domar.
    Just read the husband's secret (wow) and reading Sonia Gensler's The Dark Between on Kindle (until I can get my signed hard copy- AMAZING so far). This is a fun challenge Mari!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like these challenges, keep me on my toes! :)
      Well, for a few minutes anyway, if this post is any indication as I've not so much kept on with the questions. But I think that's okay, too.

      Delete