Tuesday, October 01, 2013

10-1-13

It's October! Do you know what that means?
  1. The government is shut down. No budget has been passed... AGAIN. [I just deleted about 5 sentences of shut down-related rant because I refuse to act like our "lawmakers" and throw a tantrum.]
  2. My fall allergies have kicked in and I have a wicked headache.
  3. There are tornadoes and megahail in the forecast, because, Oklahoma.
  4. Oh--and it's the start of ROCKTOBER.
Let's start there, shall we?

I'd so much rather focus on the music. For those of you who haven't been here for previous years, ROCKTOBER (all caps, alternate spelling RAWKTOBER, depending on the music genre) is that magical month where I may (or may not) post every day (or most days) something music related.

And this year I wrote out a schedule, yo. I'm all organized and what-not.

Today is the first, so let's talk firsts, shall we?

The number one song on the Billboard Hot 100 today is (wait for it): Miley Cyrus, "Wrecking Ball." From 2012? Psy, "Gangnam Style." I'll let you decide if that was an improvement or not.

Miley is 20. So I do quick math and figure out the number one song on the Billboard chart when I was 20 and it comes up with "Smooth" by Santana and Rob Thomas. But then I realize that I need paper to do math and I wasn't 20 in 2000 but rather in 1990 and while that sinks in, I re-Google and find the list of number ones from 1990 (the latter part of the year as I didn't turn 20 until July) and I came up with this playlist.

Enjoy.

[AWESOME PLAYLIST REDACTED BY POWERS THAT BE]

2 comments:

  1. You're still a puppy, Mari. Have to go back a bit farther for the top hits when I turned 20... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to be in my 40s, but damn that nineties to two-thousands conversion *always* trips me up! You gonna share your hit list?

    ReplyDelete