Tuesday, October 22, 2013

10-22-13: Oh! The Humanity

I'm terribly excited; as a huge fan of Humans of New York, I pre-ordered the HONY book (like the actual physical book) and it came in the mail yesterday.

And it's gorgeous. Gorgeous. I love it. I discussed it in a  recent writing class and when asked what it was I liked about it most, I realized that it's the overall humanity of the site that speaks to me.

Yes, the humanity of the humans.

Redundant? Maybe. Important? Definitely.

I discovered the HONY site shortly after Hurricane Sandy, when friends began to like and share images on Facebook. I love the way the photographer (Brandon Stanton) captures emotion and that human condition that we all share. I see it as a reminder that we're all just a few degrees separated from one another. We're all just trying to make our way in the world, make an impact.

Years ago, I saw a segment on a TV show (it might have been Oprah) where a reporter would throw a dart at a map, drive to the place it landed and interview the first person he met. Without exception, each of these people had a unique story to tell.

I try to keep that in mind as I go about my day--everyone has a story. We are all humans. We are all deserving of one another's compassion and understanding. Visit the site and buy the book. And here's a playlist to enjoy while you do:

 
Disclaimer: I am not in any way compensated by HONY, Oprah or anybody else (though I wouldn't kick compensation out of bed for eating crackers) and I purchased this book and am recommending it because I like it and I think you will like it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment