Wednesday, October 23, 2013

10-23-13: (not so) wordless Wednesday

I refuse to stay silent today. Yesterday, I saw a news story, you probably saw it too--where the conservative religious leader was bashing the Girl Scouts for any number of horrific sins, including introducing girls to business and financial skills.

Which, not for nothing, might be why a Pew Research Center study found that nearly one in five American adults are not affiliated with a religion. And the percentage is higher for that all important 18-25 demographic.
Go ahead, Pilgrim. I dare you to try to
tell me that I don't have equal rights.
Photo copyright Mari Farthing. All rights reserved.
When religion tells people to oppress, to judge, to hate, that's just not something I can support. I'm sorry, but that's not Christ-like. What would Jesus do? He would remind us to love our neighbor.

Because of this story, I will not remain silent. Anyone who fights to take away the rights of girls and women is fueling me. Giving me more incentive to fight harder for civil rights for all people, regardless of their gender. Or race. Or even religion. 

Because while this sadly ignorant individual would choose to spend his time and energy to support oppression, I refuse to go there. I have been rejuvenated to fight for the cause of all individuals. I'll pray for those who feel that oppression of anyone is the answer, but I will not sink to that level and push back.

Because I am better than that.

I am stronger than that. My mother knows what it was like to live in a world where women didn't have the same rights as men. She raised her six daughters to be stronger than that. To overcome that oppression. And I'm raising my daughter to be even stronger. And my son is learning the same lessons. Because civil rights aren't a women's issue or a men's issue--it's a human issue. All humans are tasked to uphold them. We are all tasked with working to uplift one another.

And good luck trying to hold me down.

6 comments:

  1. AMEN. I'm right there with ya in this battle my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right in the thick of it, Misti! I thought of you when I saw the story. And then I saw red.

      Delete
  2. And we both know what happens after a girl sees red ;-) Give 'em hell, Mari! Right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see this news story and I can't imagine the purpose- was it to highlight narrow mindedness, herald a particular viewpoint, or just Throwback Thursday gone terribly wrong? Please don't post the link (we don't want to give the satisfaction) but maybe a keyword so I can search it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I'll email you details!

      Delete