Thursday, October 03, 2013

10-3-13: Threefer Thursday

Because twofer Tuesdays? Aren't enough. And because Four times on Friday isn't yet a thing... it's a threefer on a Thursday.

I gotta start with KISS.

Because one day, when I was rolling down the street, "I Was Made for Lovin' You" came on the radio and it took me back. Reminded me of hanging out at my bestie's house across the street, putting on a lip-synch show for her mom and completely rocking out to this song when I was 9.

KISS was a big deal. They were a force to be reckoned with. It was the 70s and KISS was the epitome of cool. This was back in the day when there was a layer of mystery between our rock gods and ourselves. I remember my friend from down the street went to see KISS with his parents. We must have been 6 or 7 at the time. He told me they had front row seats and he got "blood" from Gene Simmons on his face at the show. Damn. I was so jealous.

The makeup. The movie (Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park). The mystique. Pissed off parents. KISS was everything a kid could want.

Then the makeup came off, the mystique slipped away. We got Gene Simmons' reality show and a peek behind the painted curtain and they became normal people. Okay, maybe not normal, but you know--not so mysterious and edgy as kind of odd and awkward.

I got the chance to see KISS in concert--in makeup--in the mid-90s in DC. I was completely stoked, went with a group of friends I worked with and we were all so excited! We got to the arena and were completely shocked to see that the arena was nearly empty. Where were all the fans? I mean, okay fine, maybe the band wasn't riding on a wave of a popular album release, but it was KISS in freaking makeup! Eventually, the world would come around. The excitement grew again and people got excited to see KISS again.

So, today, I give you three from KISS.


No comments:

Post a Comment