Wednesday, February 26, 2014

I Speak Southern: Bourbon & Boots review


I'm not a southern girl.
Am I?

I never thought I was a southern girl, anyway. But then I was asked to review the Bourbon & Boots website--and I thought, well that's just a natural for me! Those are two things that I absolutely adore.

If you're unfamiliar with it, Bourbon & Boots is a curated online shop stuffed with awesome Americana items. But why should I ramble on, when their website so eloquently states it:

This is who we think you might be.

  • You love high quality products
  • You are from the South or are a Southern Expat (livin’ up in yankeeland or maybe Texas)
  • You might even be a Carpetbagger who realizes how awesome Southern culture is
  • You value small producers
  • You value quality craftsmanship
  • You like vintage and handmade things
  • You value family and hospitality
Well, I guess that means I might be a carpetbagger? I'll have to look into that. And you'll have to look into this website to get your own hands on the awesome. This website speaks to me because it speaks one of my love languages: the language of pop culture.

By pop culture, I mean a carefully curated collection of movies, television and music that punctuate most every thought or situation in my life. For instance, when I think of what I want to be when I grow up (shut up; I know I'm grown. But I still haven't decided), I think Lloyd Dobler*:
I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career.
When my sister gives me parenting advice, she quotes the best damn cooler in the business*:
One, never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected. Two, take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.
When I wake up my kids, it's with a song*:
Good morning! Good morning! To you!
When I try to give advice, I go to the man in black*:
Get rhythm, when you get the blues, c'mon get rhythm...
And when I tell them I love them, it's the same thing. So when I signed up as a reviewer and was sent the "You are my Sunshine" necklace by Mimosa, it was a match made in heaven. Handmade from recycled bronze on a 20" chain, this sweet little disco medallion brings a song to my heart and a smile to my face. It's great for layering with other pieces (I love that look) or for wearing on its own, and the hand-hammered disc makes a perfect worry stone. And trust me, that's a bonus. This message also comes in a keychain and a two-part necklace.
Super-cute packaging including a personal
note from the artist, a linen pouch & a
washi-tape sealed box. Lovely presentation!

The folks at Bourbon & Boots have graciously offered a 5% discount to any of my readers who would like to order from their site--just enter "blogmari14" when you check out and you'll get that knocked off your total (sweet). Be sure to give yourself plenty of time when you visit Bourbon & Boots because I guarantee that you'll want to pull up a chair and set a spell; there's just too much southern hospitality to justify a short visit.

Close-up of the lovely pendant.

* the references above: 1. From "Say Anything" 2. "Roadhouse," of course 3. From "Singing in the Rain" and 4. Johnny Cash. But you knew all that, right?

And just in case you missed it the first time, here is my disclaimer--I did receive this necklace free of charge for a possible mention and I loved it so much that I said "Hells yes!" Now, skedaddle on over to Bourbon & Boots to find some awesome of your own--and don't forget to tell them I sent you (because, you know, discount!).

No comments:

Post a Comment