Monday, April 21, 2014

I run

Yesterday morning, before the Easter festivities, I went for a run. The weather was calm, slightly cool and a wee bit humid, but in a good way. It had been a while since I went for a run--I have this thing I do you might be able to relate to, I'm really good at the self-sabotage.

But, self-saboteur or not, I knew that Easter would be filled with all kinds of sweets, treats and meats, so best to get out and get a workout in while I could. I had a bit of a hangover from the wine the night before and the snacking (did you know Cheez-Its and Malbec make a lovely pairing?), and this fresh air would surely knock out the cobwebs.


Over the past few years, I dropped a good bit of weight with the help of exercise, nutrition and medication. I was finally okayed to stop the medication in December, and slowly, steadily, I can see the numbers creep up on the scale again. Now, whether this is a result of not being so careful with the exercise and nutrition (which is most likely the case) or a natural function of my body's inability to process insulin properly (which I'd like to blame, but see previous statement re: exercise and nutrition), the fact remains the same: my skinny jeans are becoming my tight jeans and I no longer have my fat jeans so this shit here needs to stop.

So yesterday, back on topic, I went for a run in the morning to try to get a jump on the Easter feaster. Just a shortish run, about 3 miles around the neighborhood. Then Easter festivities and early to bed and hello, Monday! This being the anniversary of the Boston Marathon, there was a lot of discussion on TV about it, and running is on my brain.

After lunch, I strapped on my running shoes and hit the street. I'm not one to run back-to-back days because it's not been a successful endeavor for me in the past; I'm a fair weather runner at best, I don't run long distances or very fast or very often, really, just a few times a week, and not in inclement weather. But today I'm really feeling it.

I think about all the thousands of people who ran the race today. I think about something Natalie Morales said on the TODAY show this morning, about how she's going to run and it might hurt but but it's a small thing to overcome compared to all those people who were injured last year in the bombing. So when she gets to the point where it hurts, she's going to keep going and do it for them.

I ran today. I ran three miles. I did it because I can. Because someday I won't be able to. Because sometimes bad, misguided people steal away a person's ability. I run for them, I run to defeat those bad people. Sometimes the bad, misguided person stealing away my ability is inside my brain. I run to shut her up.

These shoes were made for running.


Sunday playlist:
  1. I Fought the Law (The Clash)
  2. Wine & Roses (Lars Fredericksen & the Bastards)
  3. Burn it Down (AWOLNATION)
  4. That's Not My Name (The Ting Tings)
  5. It's Tricky (Run DMC)
  6. Rider (Okkervil River)
  7. Got Nuffin (Spoon)
  8. Bitter Rivals (Sleigh Bells)
  9. Cannonball (The Breeders)
  10. Into Action (Tim Armstrong)
 Monday playlist:
  1. Pot Kettle Black (Tilly & the Wall)
  2. Modern Love (David Bowie)
  3. You're All I've Got (The Cars)
  4. The Breakup Song (Greg Kihn)
  5. Dancing With Myself (Billy Idol)
  6. Kings of the Wild Frontier (Adam Ant)
  7. Sleep Now in the Fire (Rage Against the Machine)
  8. Lump (Presidents of the United States of America)
  9. Lose Yourself (Eminem)
  10. Everybody Talks (Neon Trees)

No comments:

Post a Comment